Beginner Knitting II ....................................................................... How to choose the best needles for new knitters
Five criteria are essential:
1. A set of straight needles
2. 8-10" in length. Longer ones are more awkward to manage and shorter than eight inches may just be uncomfortable in certain hands. Smaller hands of children may, however, have an easier time with a shorter length.
3. 5.0-6.0mm/Size 8 -10 U.S.
4. Choose a material that will feel good and one that is not too slippery. Best choices for the new knitter: bamboo, birch, rosewood, ebony and certain plastic needles such as: the Pony needles made of reinforced plastic are among my favorites. Some are designed specifically for children but adults too, will find them suitable and quite comfortable to use.Pleasantly smooth and flexible, these plastic needles are available in an assortment of colors according to size so they are easy to keep in pairs.
5. It is important and helpful to use a needle where one can easily identify their stitches. As such, a lighter colored needle is best used when knitting with a darker yarn and a darker needle such as a rosewood or ebony is ideal when knitting with lighter colors.
The key is making that first experience as pleasant and comfortable as possible by using the right tools to ensure the love of the craft.